Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Not My War

When our adventure in Afghanistan began, like many Americans, I thought it would be over inside of a year. We get our man or we cripple him to the point that the military is no longer necessary. Well, that was 7 years ago.

When we lost Bin Laden at Tora Bora our whole reason for being there vanished. Yet, we remain. Just like Iraq, this mission has warped into some kind of nation building scheme. It was never our intention to "free the Middle East". It was a lie, an excuse from the Bush administration. A banner that both sides, Dem and Repub, seem to carry now.

Years ago, when people were quoting 1984 and speaking of endless wars, I laughed. Called them paranoid. Now, I'm not so sure. It's like our officials have found a golden calf. A permanent distraction. A vial means of keeping the public separated and on edge.

But maybe I'm  paranoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some truth